Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Glucomannan has many well being advantages, however it’s best generally known as a weight reduction support. It is a crucial element of sure meals in Asian delicacies, equivalent to shirataki noodles. I also have a few recipes on-site utilizing these fiber-rich, low-carb noodles.
In this put up, we’ll dive deeper into what glucomannan is and whether or not it’s actually value having in your pantry.
What Is Glucomannan?
Glucomannan is a kind of soluble fiber. It’s present in konjac (elephant yam), the cell partitions of yeast and micro organism, and in a number of different plant species. The glucomannan that we eat in our food plan largely comes from the konjac root.
While not generally grown on this a part of the world, it’s catching on as a substitute for carb-heavy pasta (which can lack any substantive diet).
How Does Glucomannan Work?
The well being advantages of glucomannan come from its expansive properties. As a soluble fiber, it might soak up numerous water and solidify it right into a gel. This implies that it might broaden to refill area in our abdomen and improve our feeling of fullness… which can translate into weight reduction!
Health Benefits of Glucomannan
Glucomannan might assist with weight reduction by:
- Reducing ghrelin (starvation hormone)
- Reducing insulin and leptin resistance (in kind II diabetics)
- Normalizing blood sugar
- Slowing down the motion of meals by way of the intestine
- Increasing helpful micro organism within the intestine
- Reducing irritation
A assessment of 14 medical research within the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition discovered that glucomannan had an impact on weight reduction. However, glucomannan’s impact on weight discount is fairly gentle, at about 1% of the topic’s physique weight.
It’s potential it is because glucomannan by itself is probably not a really efficient technique to drop a few pounds. However, when mixed with dietary and way of life adjustments, it may be very efficient.
When used along with dietary adjustments, glucomannan was very useful with weight reduction. In a research involving 160 obese topics, glucomannan use helped improve weight reduction by about 50 – 80% greater than the placebo.
However, the authors state that the usage of dietary fibers for weight reduction is usually strongest initially. Then it decreases over about 6 months.
But Before You Stock Up on Shirataki Noodles…
My strategy to weight reduction goes approach past dietary supplements. It is much simpler and more healthy to take care of the foundation causes of extra weight. These causes might embrace irritation, blood sugar, and hormone imbalances. Just by giving up inflammatory meals and adjusting carbohydrate consumption, a lot of my purchasers have been capable of drop a few pounds.
Glucomannan might assist with weight reduction. But the perfect strategy is to make use of it together with different food plan and way of life adjustments. This will assist produce long-lasting outcomes.
The actual advantages of glucomannan are within the methods it helps different elements of well being.
Reduces Cholesterol and Normalize Blood Sugar
As a dietary fiber, glucomannan can bind to bile acids within the intestine and carry them out of the physique in feces. This requires that the physique deplete extra ldl cholesterol to provide bile acids. This may help cut back blood ldl cholesterol and blood fat.
Glucomannan additionally slows down the speed at which meals transfer from the abdomen into the gut. This will increase satiety and slows down carbohydrate absorption. It may help normalize blood sugar and should assist with kind II diabetes.
Clinical research present that glucomannan can considerably cut back whole ldl cholesterol, LDL (dangerous) ldl cholesterol, triglycerides, and fasting blood glucose.
Feeds Beneficial Gut Bacteria
There isn’t any query that our intestine micro organism is essential for well being. Glucomannan resists digestion by our digestive enzymes. But our intestine micro organism can ferment the soluble fiber into short-chain fatty acids. Unlike different kinds of fiber (like inulin) glucomannan doesn’t trigger as a lot gasoline.
There are many well being advantages to feeding good intestine micro organism. Beneficial species equivalent to Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli feed effectively on short-chain fatty acids glucomannan makes.
Modulates Immune Function
In rats, the usage of dietary fibers has a balancing impact on the intestine immune system. This may help cut back irritation. Serum IgE ranges (antibodies) are considerably decrease in rats fed glucomannan than different kinds of dietary fiber. It may be notably useful for these with allergic reactions, eczema, and bronchial asthma.
Feeding eczema-prone mice with glucomannan helps cut back irritation and forestall eczema breakouts.
Promotes Digestive Health
Glucomannan is nice for intestine micro organism, however it is usually a soluble fiber that may soak up numerous water for its quantity. It can bulk up stool and pace up the transit time within the massive bowel. This helps cut back constipation.
As a fermentable fiber, it appears to provide much less gasoline than different kinds of fiber dietary supplements. It can be much less prone to produce bloating or different unintended effects.
Reduces Colon Cancer Risk?
In rats which can be fed a high-fat, no-fiber food plan, utilizing konjac fiber helps cut back threat components for colon cancers. It will increase helpful micro organism, short-chain fatty acid ranges, and pure anti-oxidants within the intestine.
Those with an unhealthy food plan might have success utilizing glucomannan for extra protecting advantages.
Removes Toxins and Mycotoxins From the Gut
Pigs fed with moldy grains endure from mind and immunological issues as a result of mycotoxins within the grain. Feeding these pigs glucomannan can cut back mycotoxin ranges. This reduces its unfavourable results. Glucomannan might supply reduction to individuals affected by poisonous mildew in buildings with water injury.
The metabolism of the thyroid hormone within the intestine controls thyroid hormone ranges. In hyperthyroid sufferers, utilizing glucomannan (with medicines) extra successfully reduces thyroid hormone ranges to wholesome ranges than medicines alone.
However, there is no such thing as a proof of whether or not glucomannan can cut back thyroid hormone ranges in wholesome or hypothyroid topics. The authors of this research recommend that glucomannan works like cholestyramine, which can be a drug that may take away mycotoxins from the intestine.
Check out this podcast episode to learn to get an accurate thyroid prognosis.
How to Take Glucomannan?
In many scientific research, 1 gram taken 3 instances a day appears to be a common beginning dose.
You might eat glucomannan as shirataki noodles (I get them discounted from Thrive Market), shirataki blocks, or as a meals product.
Potential Dangers of Glucomannan
Glucomannan absorbs numerous water and expands. So it’s safer to eat glucomannan after it dissolves and expands in water. For this purpose, taking glucomannan as a powder or a meals product is a more sensible choice than capsules.
There have been some studies of esophageal obstruction from swallowing glucomannan with out sufficient water. Obstruction of the intestine might also be a priority. You ought to at all times drink numerous water for those who take glucomannan dietary supplements.
Some individuals might also expertise bloating and indigestion. This is very true for those who endure from small gut bacterial overgrowth. Exercise warning for those who don’t sometimes ingest massive doses of soluble fiber. If you’re liable to digestive points, it’s a good suggestion to start out at a low dose and slowly improve it over time.
Glucomannan might intrude with the absorption of sure vitamins or medicines. Therefore, it’s a good suggestion to take different dietary dietary supplements and medicines away from glucomannan. As at all times, communicate with a well being care skilled earlier than you start taking dietary supplements.
Other Uses for Konjac Root
Have you ever heard of a konjac sponge? (And no, you don’t eat it!) Check out this put up for certainly one of my favourite instruments in my pure skincare routine.
Have you tried glucomannan or shirataki noodles? Let us know your expertise within the feedback!
- Azezli, A. D., Bayraktaroglu, T., & Orhan, Y. (2007, December). The use of konjac glucomannan to decrease serum thyroid hormones in hyperthyroidism. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18187431
- Birketvedt, G. S., Shimshi, M., Erling, T., & Florholmen, J. (2005, January). Experiences with three totally different fiber dietary supplements in weight discount. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15614200
- Chearskul, S., Kriengsinyos, W., Kooptiwut, S., & Sangural, S. (2009, February). Immediate and long-term results of glucomannan on whole ghrelin and leptin in kind 2 diabetes mellitus. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19108925
- Chen, H., Cheng, H., Liu, Y., Liu, S., & Wu, W. (2006, November/December). Konjac acts as a pure laxative by rising stool bulk and bettering colonic ecology in wholesome adults. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17027233
- Chiu, Y., & Stewart, M. (2012, February). Comparison of konjac glucomannan digestibility and fermentability with different dietary fibers in vitro. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22149628
- McCarty, M. F. (2002, June). Glucomannan minimizes the postprandial insulin surge: A possible adjuvant for hepatothermic remedy. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323114/
- Onishi, N., Kawamoto, S., Suzuki, H., Santo, H., Aki, T., Shigeta, S., . . . Ono, Okay. (2007). Dietary pulverized konjac glucomannan suppresses scratching conduct and pores and skin inflammatory immune responses in NC/Nga mice. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536217/
- Peng, Q., Wu, J., Soloway, R., Hu, T., Huang, W., Xu, Y., . . . Li, W. (1997, January 01). Periodic and chaotic precipitation phenomena in bile salt system associated to gallstone formation. Retrieved from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Periodic-and-chaotic-precipitation-phenomena-in-to-Peng-Wu/c3a2731d9a4b3d02a2efb72a01e246bf87587756
- Sood, N., Baker, W. L., & Coleman, C. I. (2008, October). Effect of glucomannan on plasma lipid and glucose concentrations, physique weight, and blood strain: Systematic assessment and meta-analysis. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18842808
- Swamy, H. V. et al (2002, December). Effects of feeding a mix of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins on swine efficiency, mind regional neurochemistry, and serum chemistry and the efficacy of a polymeric glucomannan mycotoxin adsorbent. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12542167
- Vanderbeek, P. B., Fasano, C., O’Malley, G., & Hornstein, J. (2007). Esophageal obstruction from a hygroscopic pharmacobezoar containing glucomannan. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17357389
- Vuksan, V., Sievenpiper, J. L., Owen, R., Swilley, J. A., Spadafora, P., Jenkins, D. J., . . . Novokmet, R. (2000, January). Beneficial results of viscous dietary fiber from Konjac-mannan in topics with the insulin resistance syndrome: Results of a managed metabolic trial. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10857960
- Wu, W. T., Yang, L. C., & Chen, H. L. (2013, October). Protective results of pure and partially degraded konjac glucomannan on Bifidobacteria in opposition to antibiotic injury. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29253985
- Wu, W., & Chen, H. (2011, February 09). Effects of konjac glucomannan on putative threat components for colon carcinogenesis in rats fed a high-fat food plan. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21208006